Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Trip....

Andy just washed the RV inside and out while I packed up our things. We are getting ready to embark on our first trip in our new home! After being in IN almost a month (Andy has only be here about 2 weeks) we are heading back to NY. Andy still has quite a bit of carpentry work up there and we need to replenish our savings account :)

Yesterday we took the RV to the shop to get a trip check - oil change, fluids, etc. I got VERY overwhelmed and started questioning what we got ourselves into! I was getting frustrated because I could not figure out the whole generator, battery, gas guzzling engine, charging the generator, turning on the lights and A/C - all of that electrical/mechanical stuff! I want know and understand so I feel more comfortable. Andy has a lot of patience and he was losing it very quickly with me. :) But...I think I finally figured it out and have determined our next major purchase will be Solar Panels.

We already knew that this was an option and the direction we wanted to go from the beginning. Andy is very eco-conscious and we had really wanted a diesel. However, after discussing the different options with his mechanic friend we quickly realized at our price range the best option was gas. And this 27' Coachmen LOVES to suck on the gas. So...we want to do everything we can do reduce our carbon footprint other ways. Some of the research I have done says that instead of buying a second generator we should install solar panels.

After getting everything running properly and purchasing a new battery for the generate...I attempted to drive the massive beast for the first time. It was a bit indimitating! It is big, heavy and the only thing I can see in my rear-view mirror is our bed! That is not helping me back up :) I am going to keep practicing so I feel comfortable. For now I will stick to driving on the highway and getting on and off the exits. But, will practice backing up and turning in a parking lot. It is nothing like driving my Pathfinder!

It is only a 12 hour drive from Mooresville, IN to Glen Cove, NY but it will be a good test drive :)

2 comments:

  1. Solar Panels with enough amperage output can be challenging in that they are expensive. When you BoonDock, try to pick spots where you can tap an outlet to charge the onboard batteries and run the small stuff like the lights, TV, microwave, etc. Remember that the A/C will need at least 25Amps, so dont run it if you are plugged into a conventional outlet.

    RV Geeks like me have two 30Amp RV outlets on my property, so I have options ;-)

    Didnt your unit have a back-up camera system? They are reletively standard on late models like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc -
    That is good to know about the A/C - we didn't know that. I guess we should be okay when we get to your place in Sept. :)
    When you are up in a couple of weeks you will have to give us some pointers. No back-up camera but Andy promises he will get me one.

    ReplyDelete