Friday, August 13, 2010

The Big Apple

This picture is what our place looks like right now - a mess! I am hidden behind the curtain. I guess I need to make the bed a little better in the morning :) We have some remodeling and organizing to do - once we figure out what we want. :)

Andy and I made it to NY last night around 11pm. I drove much more yesterday. Andy was exhausted and after filling up the gas tank he walked in the side door, walked to the bed and fell asleep. I had no clue where we were, how far away from NY or the next road we needed to take but I got behind the wheel. I figured out we were still on 80 and knew we needed to head East. Of course as soon as I took over the driving it started pouring down rain! Andy was out cold! About an hour or so later he got up and took over. Whew!

After that I got my first night time, rain and construction turn at driving - I actually do feel much more comfortable now. We saw a lot of BAD accidents. I was doing a lot praying for us and them. The rain was intense. I drove another hour or so - just until we were outside of NY. I had no desire to try navigating my way to Cedarhurst or negotiating the streets of NY in a 27' RV! I fell asleep and didn't wake up and Andy had expertly backed up Bec and Tommy (his sister/brother in-law) driveway. I was impressed (and glad I wasn't awake to watch)!!

After a visit from Bec and Tori we went to sleep - finally! It was a long journey and we know more about what we need to know; things we need and some research we need to do. This was learning trip for sure.

It was nice to go inside to brush our teeth, use the bathroom and take a shower. Although, I am getting anxious to have everything completely set-up in our home. Not to say that we will not continue to use our family and friends facilities when we are staying with them or nearby but I want us to be self-contained soon. I keep thinking how we need to dump the black and gray tanks and replenish the fresh water tank. Right now we are literally carrying around other people's sh**. Funny sounding but totally gross!!

After getting ourselves cleaned up and doing some visiting we headed out. I drove the Pathfinder and Andy drove the RV. As I was following him I kept cringing - I was convinced he was going to hit a pole or street sign or another car. This thing is a beast and the side roads seem so small in comparison!

We got to Trader Joes and luckily we found parking for both trucks. It was funny - we were able to buy whatever we wanted in regards to cold and frozen foods. Normally we would have to think about that we had other errands to run and how would we keep everything cool in this heat, etc. But, we just unpacked everything into the fridge, freezer and cabinets. Then we had empty reusable grocery bags for our next stop!

After unloading Andy was starving - it was about 2pm and he had not had breakfast or lunch. We had left the front door open and we had our first random visitor come knocking - in the Trader Joes parking lot! A young man named Andrew was curious as to what "these things" looked like on the inside. We gave him the grand tour as he stood on the front steps :)

We went to Target to return the mattress and replace it with some other stuff we felt we needed. I wanted something between the driver and passenger seats. We found a stool that had a lid so there is room for storage - perfect. I also needed a step stool - I cannot reach anything in here! I have to climb on the bed to turn on the generator and I cannot see inside any of the cabinets. I guess most RVers are tall (or at least 5'2). We finally figured out the perfect bed situation for us - our previous futon mattress with a memory foam topper. Aww comfy.

Tonight, we are parked in front of Nina and Stu's. We visited with some wine and homemade spanikopita (thanks to Sylvia Nina's friend) and then decided we better stay in for dinner. The guys went to pick up Sushi from Sushi Takara in Glen Cove. We ordered the Ultimate Sushi Dinner for 3 and it was way too much for the 4 of us. It was nice to eat outside and have sushi. I was full and ready for bed at about 7pm!

Tomorrow it is back to work! Andy is working on a friends garage - putting up siding and building some french doors. I am going to help him do some of that and work on the computer when he can't use me. We will be driving the house over there tomorrow - it is close by. This way Andy can eat lunch at home and I can go home in between him needing me.

I am looking forward to finding a good place to dock most nights while in NY but I am loving the flexibility of staying at so many different places too :)


I am loving our home on wheels.

3 comments:

  1. When we towed our unit to Long Island, we visited Battle Row Campground in Bethpage. For 5 bucks you can dump your tanks. Anyplace else on LI probably caters to Charter Busses and will charge you big bucks.

    There are a couple of search engines that will help you find RV Dump Stations nationwide.
    www.rvdumps.com is one.

    MH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, how about when you come next weekend you and Andy take a brotherly outing to dump our tanks :) Wouldn't that be fun for you two? :)
    xoxox
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. If U can hold it that long! ;)

    ReplyDelete