Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh Indiana, Indiana...

I was born and raised in Mooresville, IN. For the last 4 years of high school all I could think about was leaving IN. I went to college in Bloomington and still only wanted to leave the state. In Jan of 1998 I moved to St Louis, MO; in Feb 2003 I moved to Denver, CO, Feb 2005 Silverthorne, CO, Sept 2009 Portland, OR - as far west in the US as I could go (almost). In May 2010 to NY - as far east in the US (almost). Now...I miss Indiana.

I am not moving back (I promise, Andy).

My room at my parents is not the same - it is set-up as a guest room - but it will always be my room. Marcus and Cari would the say the same. Some of our high school stuff still remains in the closets. The high school has been expanded but the smell and feel is the same. I am still a Pioneer. The restaurants around Mooresville have not changed much - Gray's Cafeteria has had some recent fame being on Man vs Food but the mac and cheese hasn't changed. Biff's is open again and though I have not been back in to try a Bismark I hear they are still sweetly amazing.

I am thankful that via FB,Marcus and Jamie I have been able to keep up with some friends from HS. It gives me even more reason to come home. Having TRUE friends makes a big difference. Learning over the years to be a good friend has made all the difference.

Getting over my ego, myself or whatever obstacle I dreamed up - good therapy made me see it was crazy. I always came home for holidays and when Josi was born I came home 8 times a year. But, I never really did anything - I didn't want to interact with anyone from HS. Just see the family in and out in 3 days. Now, a week is not long to see everyone and enjoy what IN has to offer: renewed friendship, Colt's games and some great restaurants (next article).

We will probably never live in Indiana but going home will always mean going there. I am proud of my up- bringing and have truly enjoyed remembering all the good parts of my childhood. I am thankful for an amazing family who told me I always had a place to call home. 

1 comment:

  1. So true!!! It will always be home no matter if we agree with how things are handled there or if we will ever live there again. No matter what it will always be where i grew up and made friends that have lasted a life time and where my family is based out of.

    ReplyDelete