Monday, September 6, 2010

Give us this day our daily bread.....

I know when Jesus prayed to His Father he was talking about giving us our basic needs each day. This is a verse from the Lord's Prayer Jesus prayed when the disciples asked him how to pray.

The problem is cousin Leah...she introduced me to Rockland Bakery. Now I feel my daily bread can only come from Rockland Bakery - right out of the oven and still hot. Now, Leah did not force me to grab a bag and a  glove so I could pick from hundreds of different hot dough items: bagels, dinner rolls, pretzels and baguettes but she took me there. I did think about the manna and how it went bad if the children of Israel took more than their daily needs. I was conservative - 2 bagels, 4 dinner rolls, 1 pretzel and a croissant. I really thought Andy and Leah would try something....despite that they are both allergic to bread in some way - yeast, grain, whatever! Really? Why would Jesus pray for daily bread and then make my husband allergic! (Sorry, Andy, I know you LOVE bread and it makes you sick. I promise I will try not bring it home to tempt you again.).

Rockland Bakery also has an entire pastry section. Seriously! I gave up deserts the night before! Leah - really? I of course had to buy a few different cookies for dinner that night: chocolate fudge sandwiched between two butter/sugar cookies, chocolate rugula fruit tart: amazing butter pastry with fresh blackberries and raspberries on top - maybe some apple filling on top to hold it all together.

I had the pretzel (see picture) for lunch. It was perfectly crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside - still hot from the bakery. It had a flavor I couldn't quite place - the sea salt on top was just part of it. Andy couldn't help himself. The onion bagel smell was strong and yummy through the paper bag...he just had a bite and than went to a mental happy place.

The deserts we ate after our raw veggie, hummus, tzatziki, spinach dip dinner. Leah and Andy tried the butter fudge cookies and I concentrated on the FRUIT tart - it was soft, buttery and yummy. Andy and I have been trying chocolate rugula almost at every bakery or coffee shop that makes them in NY. We are pretty sure Rockland Bakery has the best but need to re-try the bakery in New Paltz to be positive.

Now, Andy and I are talking about doing a cleanse. After all the wine and desert Leah has forced down our throats (hehehehe) we feel it is time. Of course....we are leaving here and heading to Afton where the Main Street Bakery does make the best scones I have ever had....

I may need to go back and re-read Jesus' prayer as a reminder about my basic needs...

(Ummm you can order online...just saying)
Rockland Bakery
94 Demarest Mill Road
Nanuet, NY 10954
(845) 623-5800
(845) 623-6921

No comments:

Post a Comment